Thursday, May 28, 2015

Re-visions

When I signed on to make a new post, I was aghast that it has been far too long since I have written.

I have been busy- working 6 days a week, and trying to cram in all of my life into one 24 hour period.

Recently I took a much needed break from the craziness, and rented a cabin for 4 days in Truro, Cape Cod. My friend and her husband, and me and my man, rented two cottages on a few acres of secluded land off a sand road.  It was nearly four solid days of moving at our own pace, eating fabulous fresh food  made from whatever we threw in bags and bought with us. We learned how to make water kefir and bread, we taught them how to make our Elixir - aka ginger shots.  We lived on cheese, wine, bread, salads and more---food of the gods.

I showered when I felt I needed to. Hardly used the car. Walked everyday to the lighthouse, 1/2 mile away. It was too windy to walk the beach, but we grabbed a few moments to watch the sun set at the little town beach, and most importantly, we made art. And talked art, life, and about the struggles that artists face.

In the quiet moments I realized a few things, the main one being that I have filled so much of my time with teaching and working other jobs, that I was having a hard time finding the time to paint. I knew after starting to get into the flow of the art and visiting with the muse at the cottage, that this had to change. 

It has been two years since I left my teaching job to follow my passion. I have derailed a bit from that intention, and my job was to get back there.

So I have decided that for the summer to give up my Monday job so that I can have two days in a row off, then I have 2.5 days of art and design time, and 2.5 days of teaching. I will see how that works both time wise and financially.

Reinvention takes time, and is a journey in discovering what I want to do with my remaining time in this world. May I live to 85 and be able to do all that I dream of!

No comments:

Post a Comment